A lot of the time when your head feels rubbish, it's because your thinking is rubbish.
We get caught playing negative stories in our head and do our best to think our way out of it. But trying to think our way out of a bad thought is like trying to fix a pimple by continually squeezing it.
It just gets more irritated and noticeable.
The best way to get a better result is to stop squeezing it, or put a cream on it or try a strategy that doesn't involve squeezing it. When it comes to our thoughts though, our questions dictate our focus. So the best strategy is to ask better questions.
Here are 10 questions to ask yourself if your head feels foggy.
- Is this thought helpful?
- What facts do I have to support what I'm thinking?
- Is there a chance I'm jumping to negative conclusions?
- Is there a more effective way for me to look at this situation?
- Is there a chance I'm learning something new through this situation?
- Could this experience actually make me stronger in five years?
- What am I learning from this situation?
- Am I confusing a thought with a fact?
- What would I tell a friend with the same thought?
- What's the best thing about being in this situation?